My soul longs and faints for the Courts of the Lord.
An Introduction to the Orthodox Temple.
“When we enter church […] we are traversing the distance from earth to heaven. We pass beyond the stars, we leave the angels below us, and we rise up to the heights of the Holy Trinity. This is the mystery of our Church.” – Archimandrite Aimilianos
We will have a class this coming Wednesday, September 4th, at 6:30pm introducing us to the meaning of the Orthodox Temple. It will include:
- A walk through and description of the Orthodox Church’s architecture and its meaning.
- What are the different parts of the Church building, and what purpose do they serve?
- We will discuss what sort of realm are we entering when we enter the Church.
- Discussion of the appropriate way to enter the Church, and customary behaviors during the services, and the reasoning behind them. Such as:
- How and why does one venerate icons?
- The difference between a bow, metania, and prostration.
- When is the appropriate time to make a prostration?
- We will conclude with an open question and answer time.
Please make every effort to attend!